Monday, August 25, 2008

Southern Peach Cobbler

Since DH had brought me home so many peaches, I figured I needed to make a dessert with them!
I rather hate making pie, so when I came across this cobbler recipe, I thought I'd give it a shot instead.

It was the best cobbler I've ever had. Hands down. And it would be JUST as good with any type of fruit!

The most impressive part is the fact that we finished the last of the cobbler 6 days after I made it -- and the topping was still nice and crisp! No soggies!


Southern Peach Cobbler

8 fresh peaches - peeled, pitted and sliced into thin wedges
1/4 cup white sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg (I omitted)
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
2 teaspoons cornstarch

1 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup white sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, chilled and cut into small pieces
1/4 cup boiling water

Cinnamon-Sugar Mixture:
3 tablespoons white sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon


Directions
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, combine peaches, 1/4 cup white sugar, 1/4 cup brown sugar, 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon, nutmeg, lemon juice, and cornstarch.
- Toss to coat evenly, and pour into a 2 quart baking dish (I used a 9 x 13 pan and it worked great).
- Bake in preheated oven for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine flour, 1/4 cup white sugar, 1/4 cup brown sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- Blend in butter with your fingertips, or a pastry blender, until mixture resembles coarse meal. - Stir in water until just combined.
- Remove peaches from oven, and drop spoonfuls of topping over them.
- Sprinkle entire cobbler with the sugar and cinnamon mixture.
- Bake until topping is golden, about 30 minutes. (Mine was only about 23-25 minutes)





Sorry for the pictures -- I didn't get any single-serving images!

Edit: I've entered this cobbler in Joelen's Culinary Adventures blog event -- Cobblers, Crumbles, and Crisps, Oh My!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This looks so good! I may have to try it!

What's Cookin Chicago said...

Thanks so much for participating in the blogging event - this looks absolutely fabulous! That topping looks especially delicious and I'm glad that it maintained its texture even after several days!