Monday, August 25, 2008

Biryani


This vegetable rice is almost slightly sweet, and DELICIOUS. It was the first time I'd cooked with basmati rice -- and I have some leftover, so I'll have to find more recipes to use it in!

I'm so glad I read about rinsing it before using it on Kristie's blog -- otherwise I may not have realized I had to!

Biryani (Vegetable Rice)

2 tablespoons ghee (clarified butter)
1 onion, cut into 1/2-inch dice (red or yellow onion)
1/2 teaspoon cumin seed (I just used cumin powder)
1 tablespoon garlic
1 tomato, diced
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup peas
1/2 cup diced carrot
1/2 cup diced potato (I omitted)
1 cube chicken bouillon
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground red chile pepper
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon garam masala
1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
4 cups water
2 cups basmati rice, rinsed and drained

DIRECTIONS
- Melt ghee in a large Dutch oven over medium heat.
- Add onion, and cook until softened, about 3 minutes.
- Stir Garam Masala; cook until the spices are fragrant, and the cumin seeds begin to pop, about 3 minutes.
- Stir in garlic, tomatoes, and 1/2 cup water.
- Bring to a simmer, and cook until the water has evaporated, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in peas, carrot, and potato.
- Season with chicken bouillon, salt, red chile, black pepper, and turmeric.
- Stir well, then cover, and cook for 3 minutes.
-Pour in 4 cups water and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Once boiling, stir in basmati rice, reduce heat to medium, recover, and simmer for 10 minutes. - Reduce heat to low and continue to cook until the rice has softened, 10 to 15 minutes more.

No comments: