Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Portable Breakfast is Awesome

My Google Reader runneth over here lately with recipes that I can totally rationalize making. 

Don't get me wrong -- I've probably got 200-300 recipes bookmarked that are things *I* would never eat, or DH would never eat -- but the pictures look so darn tasty, I convince myself I'll try it "someday".

But in amongst all those recipes are a few that -- upon seeing them -- I had to have. Instantly. This is one of them!

These little egg cups are wonderful. Apparently everyone is getting into the portable-egg-muffin craze. I first saw them at Our Sweet Life, and then again on several-other-blogs-who's-names-escape-me.

Like Beth, I get completely and totally bored with my rotation of oatmeal, and pb& j on whole grain. Those are my two workday breakfasts. And after 6 months of a work training schedule which required my breakfast to be totally portable (no microwave, no bowl, no NOTHIN') -- I am completely sick of PB&J. In every sense and flavor.

So this week I whipped up a batch of egg muffins. The recipe makes 6, and I plan to take 2 muffins per day for a few of my workdays this week (the days I have access to the microwave!)

Now, Beth's are probably WAY healthier than mine, because she used soy sausage. But textured vegetable protein and I are in a Crusades-like war, and I hate the stuff. It's disgusting. It's not food. 

/end rant

My egg muffins include a little bit of bacon, and a little real cheese (versus low fat) -- cuz that's what we had, and I used so little it wasn't a big deal.

Egg Muffins
Makes 6

5 eggs
1/4 cup 1.5% milk
Shredded cheese (I had a mexican blend this week, but use whatever you want/have/need to get rid of)
1/2 cup frozen chopped spinach (Mine was partially thawed, so I squeezed some of the extra water out before adding to my eggs)
1/3 cup diced onion (I used fresh onion, Beth calls for frozen)
6 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
dash of hot sauce
salt and pepper to taste

Directions
- Spray a 6-muffin tin with non-stick cooking spray (I only have 12-muffin tins. I sprayed 6, then put 1-2 tablespoons of water in the other 6 to ensure even cooking. Worked like a charm)
- Whisk the eggs, milk, and hot sauce
- Add the onions and spinach, and stir in the crumbled bacon. Mix well.
- Use a ladle (or a 1/3 cup measure if you're me...) to fill each muffin cup almost to the top (they do rise a little)
- Sprinkle each filled cup with shredded cheese
- Bake at 375 for 45 minutes -- the egg will appear totally cooked and look a bit golden when finished. (I let mine cook to a nice golden brown...I love that)

With the type of bacon and cheese I used, stats come out to...

Per Muffin:
Calories: 139 
Carbs: 9 
Fat: 7
Protein: 9

1 comment:

What's Cookin Chicago said...

These look great and I've starred this recipe from the same blog! :)