Saturday, January 3, 2009

King Ranch Chicken


Once again -- casseroles and delicious things never photograph well. And this recipe is both, so that should explain the pictures!


This was tasty, though -- I think DH liked it more than me, because I find the Rotel Tomato/Chilis mixture to be too spicy for my liking.


King Ranch Chicken
(I can't remember where I found it!)
1/4 cup butter
1 medium green bell pepper, chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
1 can (10 3/4 oz.) condensed cream of mushroom soup
1 can (10 3/4 oz.) condensed cream of chicken soup
1 can (10 oz.) ROTEL Diced Tomatoes & Green Chilies
2 cups shredded cooked chicken
12 corn tortillas, torn into bite-sized pieces
2 cups (8 oz.) shredded cheddar cheese

Directions

- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- In a large saucepan, cook pepper and onion in melted margarine until tender, about 5 minutes. - Add soups, ROTEL and chicken, stirring until well blended.
- In a 13 x 9 x 2-inch baking pan, alternately layer tortillas, soup mixture and cheese, repeating for three layers.
- Bake 30 minutes or until hot and bubbling.

Serves 8
Note: Not sure what the idea was behind making the tortillas bite-sized, but I think it would hold together better for cutting/serving if you left the tortillas whole.

3 comments:

What's Cookin Chicago said...

I've heard of this dish but never made it! Sounds like a great casserole!

Kristina R. said...

I can't wait to make this.

EJacks said...

Mmmmm... I love ugly, easy to make, yummy casseroles. :) I'm adding this one to my list!