Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Meatball Subs

Everybody's got their own way of making these, but since I tried a new meatball recipe I figured I'd post it.

This meatball recipe was good, but I've had others that are better -- I guess I need to start asking family/friends for their meatball recipes!

My family meatball recipe is super-simple, and I was looking for something with more spice and flavor. These were quite tasty -- just not quite what I was looking for.

(I served them with 2 jarred sauces b/c I was lazy -- 1 marinara and 1 garden style -- and shredded provolone/mozzerella mix)

Italian Meatballs
(Joy of Cooking, by way of Elizabeth's Edible Experience)

1 pound ground beef
1 garlic clove, minced
1/2 cup chopped parsley
1/2 cup grated Parmesan
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1/2 cup fresh bread crumbs
1 large egg, beaten
2 tablespoons tomato paste (I omitted b/c I didn't have any)
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano


Directions

- Mix all of the above together
- Form into 2" balls with your hands
- Dredge meatballs in 1/2 cup flour (I omitted this step)
- In a large skillet over medium heat, add 2 tablespoon olive oil
- Brown meatballs in batches, then place on cookie sheets and place in a 375 degree F oven for 10 minutes to finish cooking
- Add to sauce

Altered version: For my meatball subs today, I followed the above directions, but then added my meatballs and sauce to my crockpot and placed them on low for a little while (so the tomato flavor would get into the meatballs). Then I moved them to low and left them available for football all afternoon.

No comments: