This recipe floats around the internet -- I've seen it dozens of places. The root beer doesn't really flavor the meat -- it just keeps it nice and moist.
Since Dave LOVES BBQ, I figured I'd give this one a try...it's very good! And since it's a crockpot meal, it's essentially done by the time you get home from work.
Root Beer Pulled Pork
Makes 10-12 hamburger roll-sized sandwiches
2 lb. boneless pork (reccommend pork roast or loin, but chops work if you have them!)
1-12 oz. root beer
1 bottle of your favorite BBQ sauce
- Place pork in the crockpot, and pour the 12 oz. root beer over it.
- Put the lid in place, and turn the crockpot on low for 7-8 hours.
- Once the meat is cooked, remove the roast from the crockpot, and, using two forks, shred the meat.
- Carefully pour the leftover root beer out of the crockpot, and put the shredded meat back in.
- Pour the BBQ sauce over the meat, stir to combine
- Toast the rolls, then top with heaping mounds of BBQ pork