Thursday, April 3, 2008

Goulash -- Or "Dog Food"

When my mom was a little girl, she hated goulash. But my grandmother kept making it. To show her dislike of the meal, she started calling it "dog food" -- and the name stuck. To this day, my family calls it dog food.
Fast forward many years later, and I meet my husband (then boyfriend). I'm making dinner one night, and he asks what we're having. "Dog food," I reply. He just stares at me. And proceeds to politely tell me he's not eating ANYTHING called dog food!
We've since reverted back to calling it goulash...mostly because DH can't stomach calling it the family name!
It's a quick dinner, and hearty. Enjoy!

Goulash -- "Dog Food"

1 lb. ground beef - cooked and drained (you can use turkey, also)
1/2 cup onion, chopped
1/2 cup green pepper, chopped
2 cups elbow macaroni
1 cup water
15 oz. tomato sauce (1 lg 14.5 oz. can will work, or, two 8oz.)


Directions
-Cook meat in a large skillet with sides (chicken cooker style pan), drain, and set aside.
-Add onion, green pepper, macaroni, and water. Stir
-Add the meat, tomato sauce, and salt and pepper.
-Cover, and let simmer on low to medium heat for 30 minutes.
-Stir to mix ingredients before serving.
We serve this meal with shredded cheese on top. Any cheese will do, but colbey is DELICIOUS!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i'm always amazed at the variations on goulash - or whatever you call it. in my family, it's macaroni, ground beef, garlic, onions and a big can of diced tomatoes. no more, no less.

it's one of my all-time comfort foods and also one of the handful of things we allow my grandmother to cook (grandpa is the chef in that house). she has a special pan she uses, i truly think that's her secret.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the comment on my recipe. My Grandpa also called it Slum Gullian. I hope I spelled that right! Your recipe looks great!