Saturday, February 2, 2008

The Divinity that is Lemon Chicken



This is, perhaps, my most favorite meal...on earth. And I don't know why -- it's incredibly simple, but I adore it!

There are tons of different "lemon chicken" recipes out there...this is just mine.

I'm giving you the "original" recipe, but I'll put my notes at the end.

Lemon Chicken
4(whole) chicken breasts - bone in
1 stick butter
2-3 cloves of garlic (or garlic powder/salt)
2-3 lemons (or "real lemon" lemon juice)
onion powder (or onion salt)
poultry seasoning (the kind with thyme, marjoram, etc in it...it's kinda green)
black pepper

Directions


Boil chicken breasts and cut/shred into bite sized pieces.
Place in a glass oven dish.
Slice a stick of butter and place on top.
Put the garlic (or powder/salt) on top of the chicken/butter mix.
Sprinkle a heavy layer of poultry seasoning, a few shakes of onion powder, and pepper.

Top with the juice of the lemons

Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 1/2 hour.

Serve over rice (i like brown) and green beans (or corn).

'kay...that's my written down recipe...but here's what I actually do:
- I buy a bag of frozen, boneless, skinless chicken breasts. Boil the whole bag, shred it, and follow the instructoins above. I like LOTS of leftovers of this, and the 4 chicken breasts just don't make that. I also hate bone-in chicken...so I don't use it.
- If you're on a "poor" week or you're in a hurry, garlic powder, onion powder, and "real lemon" lemon juice will totally do the same job as real garlic and real, fresh-squeezed lemon juice. The fresh lemon juice just makes it tangier.
- Oh...and if the stick of butter makes you feel guilty...you can use a "healthy" margarine instead...but let's face it, nothing tastes quite like BUTTAH. :)

No comments: