Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Freezing February? Beef Stew is the answer!

What is better in blustery, cold February than a hearty stew? I wanted one that I could make in the crockpot, and the ladies at What's Cooking on TheNest served up this delicious recipe!
I'm posting the version I made, but I'll notate the changes I made to it.

Beef Stew
(Original recipe provided by veniceforever on 'What's Cooking')

1.5 lbs. beef chuck roast, trimmed and cut into 1 1/2 in. cubes (*hint: freeze the meat for 10 minutes before cutting..it makes cubing SO much easier!)
1 medium onion, chopped coarse
1 medium garlic cloves, minced (*I used already-minced garlic you can buy at the store because I had it on hand)
1.5 tbsp all-purpose flour
1 can beef broth
2 cans low-sodium chicken broth
2 beef bullion cubes
1 bay leaf
1/2 tsp. dried thyme
4 medium potatoes (red are best -- I had yukon gold on hand)
2 large carrots, peeled and sliced 1/4 inch. thick rounds
1 c. frozen peas (I omitted these -- my poor DH hates peas)
1/4 cup minced parsley (optional -- I didn't have any so I left it out)

Directions

- dry beef thoroughly and season with salt and pepper.
- place all ingredients except for the peas and parsley in the crockpot. Cook on low for 6-8 hours, or, on high for 4-6.
- add the peas and parsley and cook for another hour, or until peas are tender.

**This made enough for us to eat it (2 of us) twice, with some left over for lunch! I served it simply with crusty bread to dip in the juice...Yum!

Beef stew -- prior to cooking!

No comments: