Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Sloppy Joes

No Mannwich in this house! Tonight I made homemade sloppy joes. Mmmm...

This is an original recipe, straight from Grandma, and tonight I didn't make any changes. I do, sometimes, add brown sugar instead of white, and a little prepared mustard for tang. Tonight was the straight traditional recipe.

Sloppy Joes

1 lb. ground meat (I use turkey nowadays, but grew up using hamburger)
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/4 cup chopped green pepper
1/4 cup chopped celery
1-8 oz. tomato sauce
1/4 cup ketchup
1 tbsp. vinegar
1-2 tbsp sugar (if you like a sweeter sloppy joe, add the 2)
1 1/2 tsp. worchestershire sauce
1 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. pepper

Directions
Brown the meat. Add the onion, pepper, and celery, and cook until veggies are tender. Add the remaining ingredients and mix well. Cover, and let simmer 20 minutes.
A good, toasted bun with a little healthy margarine or olive oil brushed on it makes this way more than just a childhood favorite.
I served mine with steak fried and peas, because, well, I like steak fries and peas.
DH likes a little melted cheese on his, but I passed on the cheese for mine.
Enjoy!


No comments: