Saturday, February 2, 2008

Meatloaf

Ahh..meatloaf. The comforting nature of this meal is just too much to resist, for me. This recipe is a solid, 1950's style, plain meatloaf. If you're looking for a fancy-pants version, this ain't it :)

I serve this with mashed potatoes (regular potatoes for DH, yams for me) and a green veggie -- peas, broccoli, etc.

Sorry for the bad picture....we were running late that night and I didn't get a pretty picture!

Meatloaf

1 lb. ground meat (I use ground beef or turkey for this, with no problems)
1 cup bread crumbs (approx -- use whatever you need to hold the loaf together)
1 egg
1 small onion, finely diced
8 oz. tomato sauce

Mix all ingredients together and form a loaf (or two -- see Advice).
Drizzle ketchup over the top.
Bake at 350 degrees for about an hour.

Advice
You can make one large loaf, or make two small ones, as I do (the image above is of ONE small loaf. I actually had two that size). I make two so we can eat one loaf one night and the leftover night has it's own loaf.

Variation
The above recipe is my grandma's. At some point my mom changed it to the following....both are tasty.

1 lb. ground meat
3/4 cup crushed saltines
1 egg
1 tbsp. of milk
1 small onion
1/2 can tomato soup
1/2 can BBQ sauce
Drizzle BBQ on top

Mix together and form a loaf, cook at 350 for 1 hour.

No comments: