Sunday, February 22, 2009

Almond Sandwich Cookies

I made these as a little Valentine's Day treat for my co-workers. Mmmm..they're delicious.


I could've sat down with a glass of milk and ate the entire batch!! I'll definately be making these again.
I made them per the instructions this time (using the pre-made sugar cookie dough), but I'd like to try making them with a homemade sugar cookie dough recipe next time. Biggest reason being that the recipe claims this makes 7 1/2 dozen sandwich cookies. Uh...I got more like 2.5 dozen.

Almond Sandwich Cookies

Cookies
1 roll (16.5 oz) Pillsbury refrigerated sugar cookies
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
1 tablespoon granulated sugar (I used large granule sugar instead)

Filling
2 cups powdered sugar
1/4 cup butter, softened
4 teaspoons milk (I actually needed a smidge more...)
1/4 teaspoon almond extract
1 drop red food coloring (I used 2 -- and use whatever color you want!)

Directions
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F
- Break up the cookie dough into a large bowl and stir or knead in additional flour and almond extract until well blended (I just used my Kitchenaid mixer with the paddle)
- Shape dough into 1/2" balls and place balls 1" apart on ungreased cookie sheets
- Press bottom f glass dipped in granulated sugar on each ball until 1/4" thick; prick the top of each cookie with a fork (I ended up rolling the balls in the sugar and then proceeding -- my sugar wouldn't stick to my glass)
- Bake 6-8 minutes, until set but not brown. Cool 1 minute then remove from the cookie sheet to a cooling rack and cool completely (about 20 minutes)
- To make the icing, beat filling ingredients together with an electric mixer on low speed until smooth and creamy. Spread about 1 teaspoon (this seemed like a lot for a 1/2" cookie...) on the bottoms of half the cookies, then top each with another cookie, bottom side down. Press gently.
- Store in the refrigerator; remove 15-20 minutes before serving for optimal flavor.