This is delicious! I made it on Sunday, and took a piece of it to work each day for breakfast. My co-workers were nearly crazy by the end of the week from smelling it!
Highly, highly reccommend making this -- it'd be great if you had a small crowd to feed, OR if you just want to eat it all week long like me :-)
I ate it warmed in the microwave, with cold milk down over it. Mmm...
*This is a doubled recipe version of Swistle's, because I didn't want to deal with 1/2 fruits. It made a 9x9 square baking pan full of baked oatmeal goodness as the doubled recipe.
1 1/2 cups (or slightly more) milk
2 tbsp butter
1 cup regular oats (if you're using steel cut, you'll probably need more milk. no idea how much)
1 apple, peeled and chopped small
1 banana, cut into pieces
10-12 pieces of chunk canned pineapple (chopped up rings or crushed pineapple is fine too)
4 tbsp brown sugar (it was really sweet -- you could probably make this amount smaller)
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
dash of salt (DON'T forget this, or it's very bland!)
1-2 tbsp additional brown sugar
1/2 - 1 cup of nuts (walnuts, pecans, whatever), chopped (optional)
- Boil the milk and butter together on the stovetop
- Add the oats, stirring in slowly
- Stir in the chopped fruit, brown sugar, vanilla, and salt
- Cook and stir 1 minute
- Pour into a greased casserole dish (I used a 9x9 baking pan)
- Bake uncovered at 350 degrees F for 10-15 minutes
- Remove from oven, sprinkle more brown sugar and nuts (if desired)
- Bake for another 5 minutes, or until bubbly