Do you know the difference between Russian Tea Cakes and Mexican Wedding Cookies?
Most people think the names are interchangeable, but actually, Russian Tea Cakes generally contain walnuts, while Mexican Wedding Cookies generally contain almonds.
See? Now you've learned something. :-)
Russian Tea Cakes
1 cup butter
1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup chopped walnuts
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/3 cup confectioners' sugar for decoration
- Cream butter and sugar together
- Slowly add the flour until combined
- Stir walnuts in by hand until mixed
- Refrigerate the dough until chilled ( I don't reccommend leaving this dough in the fridge long -- maybe 1/2 hour. If you leave it in, it gets hard and is impossible to work with)
- Roll the dough into 1" balls and bake for 15 minutes in a preheated 350 degree F oven
- Once baked, roll while still hot in confectioners' sugar until coated
- Let cool, then roll in more confectioners' sugar before serving/storing.