Thursday, November 13, 2008

Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole


I've said before how much I love Picky Palate. But I don't care, I'm saying it again -- I love Picky Palate!

She always takes nice photographs, and her meals are fantastic for weeknights.

This week I made her chicken cordon bleu casserole. DH says it's tasty, and to put it "on the rotation" -- we have a winner, ladies and gents!

I used all mozzerella and cheddar tonight, because it's what I had on hand...but I reeeeeeeeally think the shredded Swiss would make it taste more like actual Chicken Cordon Bleu.

And, as always...casseroles don't photograph well. Just trust me, it's tasty and it's quick (with a little prep work).

Cheesy Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole

6-8 servings

2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1 red bell pepper, diced
1 clove fresh garlic, minced
1/2 lb. diced ham
2 cups cooked, shredded chicken breast
4 tablespoons butter
1/4 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
14 oz. can chicken broth
3 cups cooked rice
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1 cup mozzarella or swiss cheese (I think I would recc: 1/2 cup mozz, 1/2 cup shredded swiss)

Directions
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F
- Heat oil in a large, rimmed skillet over medium heat
- Add onion and bell pepper; saute until softened, about 5 minutes
- Stir in garlic, ham, and chicken, cook for an additional 5 minutes
- Melt butter then stir in flour, salt, and pepper until combined (I melted the butter in the microwave and just added it to the pan)
- Slowly stir in chicken broth until well combined
- Stir in cooked rice, then transfer to a 9x13 baking dish.
- Top with cheddar and mozz/swiss cheeses
- Bake 20-25 minutes. Cover the dish with foil for the last 10 minutes for oozing cheese



No comments: