Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Zesty Mozzarella Chicken

This recipe came from Kay, over at Kitchen Scrapbook. I like Kay's recipes -- her cooking style is similar to mine.

I'm just not a fancy eater. My delicate stomach won't tolerate odd spices, or weird replacements for protein, or any of that nonsense. I like good recipes -- but I don't feel pressured to find new and bizarre recipes. I'm more concerned with having a log of items I (and my husband) will actually eat.
*Steps off soapbox, now* Oops.

This chicken is VERY tasty. I'd say it's basically Chicken Parmesean, with a different name, but that didn't make me enjoy it any less! And it was easy and quick, to boot.

I served it simply with some local, fresh green beans.

Buy local, people!

Zesty Mozzarella Chicken

1 egg white, lightly beaten
2 tbsp. milk
1 cup bread or cracker crumbs
2 tbsp. parmesean cheese
1/4 tsp. each salt, pepper, garlic powder, cayenne pepper, and dried oregano (I think I added closer to 1/2 tsp. of each -- and I added 1/4 tsp. of onion powder as well)
4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
2 tbsp. butter (I replaced this with olive oil -- enough to just barely coat the bottom of the pan)
1/2 cup pasta sauce
1/2 cup shredded mozzarella or italian blend cheese

Directions
- In a shallow bowl (I used a pie plate) combine the egg white and milk.
- In another bowl (again, I used a pie plate) combine bread or cracker crumbs, parmesean cheese, and spices.
- Heat oil (or butter if you use it) in a large skillet until warm.
- Dop chicken in the milk/egg mixture, then in the bread/cracker crumb mixture.
- Place in skillet and brown chicken on both sides until no longer pink and juices run clear (It took me about 10-12 minutes on medium/medium high heat)
- Meanwhile, heat the pasta sauce so it's warm.
- When chicken is done, sprinkle with mozzarella cheese.
- Remove from heat and cover for 2-3 minutes, or until the cheese melts.
- Serve with pasta sauce.


1 comment:

PG said...

Hey - thanks for the one skillet suggestions! A turkey burger or chicken parmesan might be good. I'll have to spend some time wandering the grocery aisles to see what I can find here.