Monday, June 2, 2008

What Happened to Jello??


Warning: Jello does NOT photograph well.

Growing up, I remember my grandmother always had several varieties of jello and canned fruit in her pantry (along with a little Dream Whip to make things fancy!) -- so my question is:

What happened to jello??


Jello and fruit used to be a common, light dessert for my family, and my grandma was happy to "whip up a batch" when she knew we were coming over. She had several varieties (admittedly, my favorite was orange jello, mandarin oranges, and dream whip), and it was always a nice, cool treat in the summer.

In honor of the weatherman, who told me our "hot and humid" weather for the summer will be setting in this week, I've brought jello back. This actually isn't one of grandma's jello's, but it's still delicious.

(And perhaps Grandma's recipes -- for jello and otherwise -- will be making an appearance in the coming weeks. I'm feeling nostalgic!)
Strawberry-Cranberry Jello Salad
2 cups boiling water
1 large box cherry jello (Feel free to use sugar free if it floats your boat)
1 can whole or jellied cranberry sauce (I think mine was 14 oz. maybe smaller. whatever standard cranberry sauce is!)
1 20-oz can crushed pineapple (drained)
1 box frozen strawberries (thawed -- do not drain)
Directions
-Dissolve jello in the boiling water, and add cranberry sauce.
- Smash until the cranberry sauce is dissolved into the jello mixture.
- Add strawberries and drained pineapple.
- Stir and refrigerate until solid.
P.S. - If you were really old school -- this jello would make jello molds really well, I think! It's a good, solid jello!

No comments: