Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Smothered Pork Chops

I found these pork chops on foodnetwork.com -- apparently they are a Tyler Florence recipe...and I realized I've never made one of his! Fun, fun

These were quite tasty -- they reminded me of the pan-fried pork chops and gravy my mom and grandma made while I was growing up.


My changes are noted below...and I think next time I'd leave the cayenne out, or cut down the amount. Personally, I see no reason for a flash of hot spice in the back of my throat after I swallow a delicious, moist piece of pork covered in gravy.


But that's just me.

Smothered Pork Chops

(Tyler Florence, Food Network)

1 cup all-purpose flour

2 tablespoons onion powder

2 tablespoons garlic powder

1 teaspoon cayenne

1 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper

4 pork chops, 1/2" to 3/4" thick, bone in (I used boneless because I had them)

1/4 cup olive oil

1 cup chicken broth

1/2 cup buttermilk (I didn't have any, so I mixed 1/2 cup 1% milk with 1/2 tsp. lemon juice. Worked just fine)

Parsley for garnish (optional)


Directions

- Put the flour in a shallow pan (I used a pie plate) and add onion powder, garlic powder, cayenne, salt, and pepper. Mix it with a fork to incorporate the spices into the flour.

- Pat the pork chops dry with a paper towel and then dredge in the seasoned flour, shaking off any excess.

- Heat a large skillet or saute pan over medium-high heat and coat with the olive oil.

-When the oil is hot, lay the pork chops in the pan in a single layer and fry for 3-4 mintes on each side until golden brown.

- Remove the pork chops from the pan and add a sprinkling of the seasoned flour to the pan drippings. Mix the flour into the drippings to dissolve.

- Pour the chicken broth in, and let the liquid cook down for about 5 minutes to let it reduce and thicken.

- Stir in the buttermilk (or faux buttermilk, if you're me) to make a creamy gravy.

- Return the pork chops to the pan, covering them with gravy.

-Simmer for 5 minutes, or until the pork is cooked through.

-Garnish with parsley if preferred.


Apologies for the pictures -- it was late, I was enourmously hungry (look how much food is on that plate!), and I was in no mood for model shots of my food :-)

No comments: