Saturday, May 17, 2008
"Pittsburgh-style" Rice Krispie Treats (Butterscotch & Chocolate)
I call these rice krispies "Pittsburgh-style" because I'm from that area of the world, and when I moved away from there, I discovered not many people knew about these!
Looking back, I thought these were the only kind of rice krispies for a LONG time!
I love them, they're affordable to make, and they're easy. What more could you ask for??
Pittsburgh-style Rice Krispie Treats
(Original recipe makes 1 8"x8" pan)
1 - 6oz. butterscotch chips/morsels (you can also use peanut butter morsels)
1 - 6oz. milk chocolate chips/morsels
1/2 cup peanut butter
4 cups rice krispie cereal
1 tbsp. water
- Melt the butterscotch morsels and the peanut butter in a non-stick pan over low heat, stirring occasionally.
- Pour the butterscotch-peanut butter mixture over the rice krispie cereal in a bowl, mixing until completely coated.
- Press 1/2 of the rice krispie/butterscotch-peanut butter mixture into an 8x8 pan with a fork, then (the first time you do this, you may be tempted to press with your fingers. don't. seriously. use the fork.)
- Refrigerate your 8x8 pan with 1/2 the butterscotch rice krispies.
- Melt chocolate morsels with the water over low heat in a non-stick pan.
- Pull your 8x8 pan out of the refrigerator and spread the chocolate over the layer of rice krispies.
- Refrigerate again for 5 minutes
- Press the other 1/2 of the rice krispie mixture on top of the chocolate-water mix
- Refrigerate for 45 minutes to an hour.
- Remove from the fridge, cut into squares, and serve. I recommend pulling them out 10 minutes or so before you serve them, so the chocolate layer isn't rock hard.
- Refrigerate any leftovers